Saturday, July 18, 2009

The pen is mightier

I flipped over to a fellow screenwriter's blog (http://iamphilipnight.blogspot.com/) and saw something that really caught my attention - hand writing a script. It reminded me so much of when I first started writing. Everything was handwritten and then typed up later. I wrote my entire first script longhand and then typed it up after I had it all, AND it was in no particular order, AND it ended up being about 160 pages after I got it all in there. Major editing. But I loved it.

I've gotten to where now I tend to go right to the electronic pen and paper. But I wonder (little tribute to Carrie Bradshaw here) was I happier doing it the old fashioned way? It seemed like I was so connected to the story and so ready to just dive right into it every day. We were more linked, and best of all, I could work on it any time, anywhere. I was holding the instrument right in my hand and the ideas flowed into it. Now, it seems maybe a little ... colder.

So I'm thinking my pen should not languish any longer. It has served me well and will again. Thank you, Phillip, for reminding me.

No comments: