Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Adrift with only a screenplay

I think my last posting probably did not convey my true feelings very clearly about being let go. I have been laid off, and I know that can be a crushing experience for some people, but for me it wasn't because I knew it happened through no fault of my own. The company shut down. Being let go is extraordinarily disturbing. No matter how many times others try to tell you that they made the mistake, you can't help but wonder, "What the hell happened? Why am I being rejected? What did I do?" Unfortunately, I have lots of company these days in that ship called the SS Jobless, and I know they are feeling these pains, too. How much does it help each of us as individuals to know we're not alone? Some, I guess.

I went on an interview today. It was very odd and mechanical with very set steps and preordained questions. The guy interviewing me was impossible to read which is probably why they gave him the task of interviewing. No false hope-giving for that dude. And the office had a certain feel of ... what? A library? A storage room? I don't know; it just looked like they moved in and set stuff down in the first place it fell and left it there. Then they all picked out their desks and made a pact to be vewy vewy qwuiet.

I have signed up again for unemployment. I think working for the ... uhhh, what shall I call them? ... probably screwed things up on that front. Previously I was drawing on the company that shut down. I don't think I will be anymore, and therefore, will most likely receive much less. They have lit up my life in soooo many ways.

No comments: