Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Screenwriting Bug

As most writers do, I spend a big part of my days lifting my cat up to the ceiling so he can catch bugs. Today as I was providing crane services I started wondering, how often does one writer do this for another? Lift him up, I mean, not feed him bugs.

Are we a selfish, jealous bunch that try to hoard all the money and glory for ourselves and shut out the others? There are plenty of industries where this is the norm. Do we turn a blind eye when we see a talented writer and happen to know someone looking for just that style?

I have looked within myself and without for the answers, and I say no, we're not like that. Over and over, I see screenwriters extending a hand, showing the way, and patting a down writer on the back. I see the ones who have made it who then turn around and take the time to write blogs with writing and business tips, go to festivals, answer questions, genuinely try to help because they remember vividly the struggle. I see this willingness to help all up and down the ladder, the ones on top, in the middle, and down here at the bottom where I live. I see the generosity in the universities amongst the student writers and professors and all over the internet. These are people who make nary a dime from giving advice and help, but they do it anyway. Do we do these things just because it's another forum for writing or is a writer inherently helpful?

A screenwriter has to be spiritual and inward-looking in some way and to some degree. I think they help because they love the way it feels.

So lift up another writer. There are enough tasty bugs up there for all of us.

No comments: