Wednesday, January 21, 2009

job search

Not only am I searching for a payday on a screenplay, I'm searching for a payday, period. I need a job. I have applied everywhere for just about every kind of job there is. I've applied for jobs ranging from teacher to the person who measures property in order to assess taxes.

I realize there are whole lot of jobless people out there right now. I, myself, know many who have been laid off due to this crappy economy and all the shutdowns it has brought with it. I was a victim, too. But you are eligible for unemployment if you lost your job through no fault of your own, and quite often during my days of receiving benefits, there were extensions because the government realized it is just taking much longer for people to find jobs in this worker-flooded market. Talk to your unemployment agency. Find out about all the various programs out there because believe me, there are many. I was on one called TAA or TRA which was a program to help people who lost their jobs due to foreign competition. There are programs that will help with your food bills, your mileage, your education expenses. Start researching and asking lots of questions. Send me your questions and if I can help, I certainly will.

In the meantime, try not to get discouraged by how long it takes to land another job. It can take days, weeks, or months. I sent an application to a company on January 6 and was called for an interview on January 20. Some will call to do a short phone interview, and then it may be days or weeks later when they call for an in-person interview. I know it's hard, and I know it's discouraging and scary and depressing. But you're not alone.

No comments: